Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Refuse/Resist & Celestia Antiqua


(click image to enlarge)

"Hello. My name's Tom and I'm a design and typography nerd."

I had "Refuse" and "Resist" tattooed onto my calves several years back in Los Angeles by Taku at True Tattoo in Hollywood. This was something I wanted to do for a long time, but hadn't. I chose the font Celestia Antiqua for its classic style and rough edges and the words "refuse" and "resist" as a reference to a socio-politico stance.

About Celestia Antiqua (from My Fonts): Mark van Bronkhorst designed Celestia as an alternative to Caslon Antique at a time when few rough-edged fonts were available. He borrowed the basic forms from an early attempt he'd made at designing an oldstyle roman typeface, this time redrawing the letterforms with stronger serifs and adding the rough-edges. Designed to be more open and readable in text settings than Caslon Antique, Celestia's gentle roughness becomes more apparent when used in display settings. An italic design, based on van Bronkhorst's calligraphy, complements the roman character set.