Wednesday, March 31, 2010
With Photography Like This…
• Johnny Cash, San Quentin Prison, 1969
(click image to enlarge)
…how could you go wrong with an album cover?
February 3, 1936—March 24, 2010
As someone who's designed album covers utilizing classic, editorial photography – I know how much of a difference it makes to have something iconic to work with. Jim Marshall, and his photography, made life easy for many designers and inspired the legend of many classic rock musicians in music history.
I had the pleasure of viewing much of Jim's work in person at the Morrison Hotel Gallery on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood during my second stint living in the City of Angels. Awe-inspiring and legacy-worthy, to say the least. His work will live on forever. For more, go here.
• John Coltrane, Queens, NY, 1963
• Miles Davis, New York City
• Grace Slick & Janis Joplin, San Francisco, 1967
• Rolling Stones, Los Angeles, 1972 "Exile…" sessions
• Jimi Hendrix, Monterey Pop, 1967