Wednesday, December 2, 2009

2009: The Year In Music

As I'm sure you guessed by now, I'm a big-time music fan. It always was this way; from sitting down and playing 45s on the floor of my brother and I's bedroom in the 70s to moving off to NYC & LA to become a Project Manager and A&R representative. With that said, I wanted to post a little something about the year in music as well as my choice for album and single cover of the year. Now, before anyone goes bonkers on me, the covers of the year are chosen specifically from the titles that land on my "best of the year" list. If it wasn't on my list, it couldn't be selected. Simple.

ALBUM COVER OF THE YEAR:

(click image to enlarge)

THRICE Beggars
• They changed up the final cover at the last minute, too late to stop the first one from getting out there for the earliest sales. Personally, I'm a big fan of the first cover – which is the one featured here. Thrice are quickly becoming one of my most-respected bands in all of music. They never sit still, would rather fail trying and succeed treading water and are one of the best sounding live bands. If only they'd tour with bands I like, or just by themselves.

SINGLE COVER OF THE YEAR:

(click image to enlarge)

BAT FOR LASHES "Daniel"
• The single is, for all intents and purposes, a dead art. Most singles are now digital only, especially in the states, and typically feature some promotional photo shoot outtake with some lame type over it – and that's it. Not Natasha Khan. She has the Karate Kid himself, Daniel LaRusso, painted on her bare back for this gorgeous photo. It's hard to beat, I know.

And here's the music list itself. Based solely on the listening experience, of course…

THE TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2009,
(in alphabetical order):

ALICE IN CHAINS Black Gives Way To Blue
BAT FOR LASHES Two Suns
NEKO CASE Middle Cyclone
THE DEAD WEATHER Horehound
DOVES Kingdom Of Rust
HEAVEN & HELL The Devil You Know
HE IS LEGEND It Hates You
KILLSWITCH ENGAGE Killswitch Engage
MASTODON Crack The Skye
THRICE Beggars

For more, check out the Knights of the Turntable blogspace…